Friday, December 14, 2012


http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012/04/04/the-rise-of-e-reading/

The above article points out some interesting facts that provided a bit of a wake up call to me.  It points out that about one-fifth of American adults have read some sort of electronic reading material.  While this number does not shock me all that match, the next factoid it tossed out there really hit home with me.  It says:

"Those who have taken the plunge into reading e-books stand out in almost every way from other kinds of readers. Foremost, they are relatively avid readers of books in all formats: 88% of those who read e-books in the past 12 months also read printed books. Compared with other book readers, they read more books."

I myself have never been particularly fond of the electronic medium, but I do know that I fit the above statistic.  Over time the amount that I read has dwindled, and if I were to embrace an electronic reader of some wort I probably would start reading more again.

It also points out that each medium seems to serve a particular purpose which would support other things I've read, that they are not in competition, but that they are simply tools and the right one is needed for the right job.

No comments:

Post a Comment